Sunday, February 19, 2012

Fenelon Falls: Free hop rhizomes


When I visited Fenelon Falls in the fall, I spotted wild hop flowers during a morning walk. I was unprepared at the time to dig them up and cart them home.

For those wondering. No, if I dig up the hop rhizomes quietly, and don't kill the mother plant - the flowers contain no seeds, just flavour for beer - and don't get caught, my action will not be considered theft.


Here I am again in Fenelon, but now it is too cold to do the digging. I must content myself with snapping photos of the river and hoping for an early spring in the land of opportunity.


For if I can dig up the rhizomes early and successfully replant them in London, I may have vines laden with hop flowers growing upon my backyard fence by September.

And if opportunity knocks twice, I'll be sipping an IPA homebrew by October.

[Photos by G. Harrison]

***

Please click here for more photos from Fenelon Falls, the land of opportunity.

.

No comments: